Police in Wales are asking for help in locating a Cardiff motorcyclist who has gone missing while on holiday in Spain. Pensioner Roy Davies Clarke was travelling in a northern part of the country but has been missing since Monday (May 30)
The 78-year-old, who is from Heath, was travelling with a friend when he became separated while heading towards Yesa near Pamplona on Monday evening and failed to arrive at his hotel.
He is described as being about 5ft 10ins tall, of slim build with a round stomach. He is bald with grey hair on the sides and is usually clean shaven. He wears a gold ring on a little finger and a Tissot wrist-watch.
Noise pollution near schools could be harmful to pupils’ concentration and working memory, according to new research.
In a study of 2,680 pupils aged seven to 10 in Barcelona between January 2012 and March 2013, children underwent cognitive tests of their working memory and concentration throughout the year, while road traffic noise was measured indoors and outdoors at the start of the year.
The study looked at average noise levels and noise fluctuation as well as outdoor average noise levels at the pupils’ homes, finding that high levels of noise pollution had an impact on pupils’ memory and attentiveness.
In tests every three months, the researchers concluded that exposure to road traffic noise at school – but not at home – was associated with slower development of working memory, complex working memory and attentiveness in the pupils.
The study found this could have an impact on children’s learning, and that environmental noise policies should be put in place to protect schools from the impact of noise pollution.
“Given the expected large number of children exposed to road traffic noise at schools, particularly in urban areas, the application of policies to reduce road traffic noise at schools (outside and inside classrooms) could substantially benefit cognitive development, at least working memory and attention, and future health,” the report says.
Professor Trevor Cox of the Science and Media Centre said: “Road traffic noise is a side effect of modern living.
“The fact it harms health and wellbeing is not talked about often enough. Arguably, the effect of noise on student learning in schools is the worst harm of environmental noise.
“This is because any lack of attainment is detrimental to health and wellbeing for the rest of the students’ lives. Addressing noise is particularly important for equality, because schools in disadvantaged areas are usually on noisier sites.”
The outfit worn by Prince Louis on the first day of the Platinum Jubilee weekend echoed a childhood look sported by his father almost 40 years ago.
The youngest child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge wore a sailor-style white and navy top, very similar to the one worn by William at Trooping the Colour in 1985.
Louis, dressed in his potentially vintage outfit, sat in between his older siblings Prince George and Prince Charlotte as they travelled to Horse Guards Parade for the first event of the four-day celebration.
Pictures of William wearing the same style of top show the young prince on the balcony of Buckingham Palace standing in front of his parents in 1985.
The Prince of Wales is holding a young Harry while Diana, Princess of Wales, is smiling.
William was almost three at the time.
On Thursday, four-year-old Louis joined his brother and sister in waving at the crowds from their carriage.
Officers were scrambled to Lextan tanning studio in Swansea following reports a body had been found.
A spokesman for the chain of salons confirmed the woman was a customer and added members of staff have been offered counselling following the grisly discovery.
The cause of the woman’s death has not been confirmed and a police investigation is ongoing ahead of a post mortem.
However they say the death is not believed to be suspicious.
Detective Inspector Gareth Jones of South Wales Police told Wales Online: “South Wales Police was called around 4.05pm on Saturday, May 28, by the Welsh Ambulance Service following reports the body of a woman had been found at commercial premises on Carmarthen Road, Fforestfach. Emergency services attended and found the body of a woman in her 30s.
“There are believed to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding her death. Her next of kin have been informed and a file has been passed to the coroner.”
A spokesperson for Lextan gave condolences to the family.
Their statement read: “We can sadly confirm that a customer died while at our Fforestfach salon on Saturday, May 28th.
“We give our condolences to the deceased’s family and friends, and we have also offered counselling to any affected staff.
“We are co-operating with the investigation in to this case by South Wales Police and any further enquiries should be made to them at this time.”
Wales’ understudies failed to deliver a World Cup boost as they slipped to a 2-1 Nations League defeat to Poland.
Just four days before their World Cup play-off final, Jonny Williams’ second international goal gave an unfamiliar Wales line-up a 52nd-minute lead in Wroclaw.
But Poland substitutes Jakub Kaminski and Karol Swiderski struck in the final 18 minutes to turn the game on its head and inflict a first defeat on Wales since their Euro 2020 loss to Denmark last summer.
Captain Gareth Bale was absent from Wales’ matchday squad after arriving from Real Madrid’s Champions League celebrations, with boss Robert Page shuffling his pack ahead of Sunday’s decider in Cardiff.
Bale had become the first British player to win the Champions League on five occasions when Real beat Liverpool on Saturday, and Page refused to risk his talismanic forward for the Nations League opener.
Aaron Ramsey, Ben Davies and Joe Allen were also rested as Ipswich wing-back Wes Burns won his first cap.
Burns was in Wales’ preliminary squad for Euro 2016 before missing out on the tournament in France.
This was Wales’ first fixture in the top tier of the Nations League following their promotion two years ago, but Page’s team selection was understandable given the magnitude of Sunday’s game.
Poland had secured their own World Cup qualification in March, and skipper Robert Lewandowski was the centre of attention following his promise to quit Bayern Munich this summer.
Jan Bednarek and Mateusz Klich were representing the Premier League, but Aston Villa defender Matty Cash missed out through injury.
Wales fielded an unfamiliar back-three of Chris Gunter, Chris Mepham and Rhys Norrington-Davies and they should have fallen behind in the first minute.
But the unmarked Piotr Zielinski sent his header wide of the near post and Mepham soon advanced quickly to block Lewandowski’s powerful shot.
Lewandowski had a clearer sight of goal after 21 minutes when two Wales defenders collided, but Danny Ward reacted well to push his effort around a post.
Dylan Levitt saw an early effort held at the second attempt by Kamil Grabara, and Wales carried a genuine counter-attacking threat through Daniel James and Kieffer Moore.
Their intelligent combination play stretched the Poland defence and Moore was off target following one incisive break.
James failed to take Wales’ best opening after being found superbly by Joe Morrell, the Leeds forward sliding his shot wide of Grabara’s near post.
Poland were also guilty of wastefulness in front of goal as Adam Buksa failed to turn in Tymoteusz Puchacz’s inviting cross.
Wales withdrew James and Moore at the interval with Mark Harris and Rabbi Matondo coming on and Wayne Hennessey replacing Ward.
The move paid off as Wales took a 52nd-minute lead when Williams picked up possession on the edge of the Poland area and arrowed a low shot past Grabara.
The rhythm of the game was interrupted by a raft of substitutions and Poland struggled to respond to falling behind.
But Kaminski was afforded time and space in the Wales penalty area to beat Hennessey from 12 yards.
It got better for Poland five minutes from time after some pinball in the Wales box.
Lewandowski’s shot was diverted into the path of Swiderski, and the substitute bundled the ball home from close range.
MAJOR traffic problems over three days following Ed Sheeran stadium gigs in Cardiff have led to questions over South Wales’ ability to host major events and left people asking whether it will happen again.
Ed Sheeran and My Chemical Romance fans flocked to the capital over the weekend for a series of large scale shows.
Motorway queues stretch for miles
The M4 motorway saw congestion backing up over the Prince of Wales Bridge.
It was also gridlock on many of the roads through Newport as motorists looked for alternative routes.
Traffic was so bad that one commenter suggested a special ‘Ed Sheeran lane’ on the M4 as a solution.
Maybe Cardiff should have an Ed Sheeran lane on the M4 instead of a bus lane…
The problems weren’t just on the roads. There were also reports of a lack of trains – some of which were subsequently cancelled.
A Transport for Wales spokesperson said: “Tens of thousands of passengers travelled on our services for the Ed Sheeran concerts, as well as other major events taking place on the network this weekend, with no major incidents or safety events reported.
“We would like to thank our passengers for cooperating well with our queuing system and with our teams who managed to keep passengers moving as quickly and as safely through the station as possible.
“We are facing some capacity constraints currently and some of our trains remain out of use due to an incident at Craven Arms at the start of last week.
“We advise customers check before they travel and use our Capacity Checker – an online tool that allows customers to see which trains are likely to have the most space available.”
Some people were left with no alternative than to leave early or face being stranded in Cardiff as trains were cancelled.
Hi I’m in Cardiff for the Ed Sheeran concert – last 2 trains back to Gloucester have been cancelled. Advised by your staff to catch the 9:15 train & there is no alternative. Concert doesn’t finish until 10:30. You have known about this concert since last year. How do I get home?
The problems during the Ed Sheeran gigs were compounded by other events going on and the start of the half term holiday – with many families heading down the M4 on holiday on Friday and Saturday.
However, there are concerns the scenes could be repeated.
Wales’ men’s football team are due to play either Scotland or Ukraine in their World Cup play-off match this weekend (Sunday, June 5), with a game against the former sure to draw fans of both nations to the city in their thousands.
The Stereophonics are also playing the Principality of June 17 and 18.
There is also a WWE event at the stadium on September 3 – the first event of its kind in the UK for 30 years, which is likely to draw crowds from across the country.
The wrestling event has also secured funding from the Welsh government to be staged in the capital.
Cardiff Council acknowledged that the recent concerts had created problems on the transport network in the region.
However, it said the issue of mass events leading to transport issues can be experienced “in any city”.
It noted that other events of a similar scale had not presented anything like the same issues.
Cardiff cabinet member for transport and strategic planning, Cllr Dan De’Ath, said: “The concerts, combined with half-term, clearly created problems on the regional network, plus issues on the rail network meant that replacement coaches had to be used on some services.
“We will continue to work with Welsh Government and UK Government, so that we see increased and better transport links for the region, including rail and Metro.
“Having said that, we mustn’t forget that Cardiff regularly plays host to countless events, without issue.
“When major events take place in any city, journey times will inevitably be longer because of the large number of people travelling, so the advice is always to allow much more time than normal, and to regularly check the travel advice being given.”
Leader of the Welsh Conservatives Andrew RT Davies said the issues showed that major infrastructure spending was needed in South Wales.
Serious questions must be asked about how three big gigs in Cardiff have ground South Wales to a halt.
Andrew is a blockchain developer who developed his interest in cryptocurrencies while his post-graduation. He is a keen observer of details and shares his passion for writing along with being a developer. His backend knowledge about blockchain helps him give a unique perspective to his writing
Thousands of babies are set to join a study of early childhood as part of research into children of the 2020s.
The study, commissioned by the Department for Education and led by researchers from University College London will follow children for the first five years of their lives at least.
It hopes to inform decisions about early years and childcare services, exploring how both the pandemic and the cost-of-living crisis has impacted the children, the study’s researchers say.
The research, which is the first birth cohort study to be launched since the millennium, will be conducted in partnership with Ipsos, the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and Birkbeck, University of London.
Research director Professor Pasco Fearon said he was “extremely excited” to start meeting families and their children, who are currently nine months’ old.
“More than 75 years ago, the first British birth cohort study, which is housed at UCL, was launched to track the lives of babies born just after the war.
“And now, Children Of The 2020s will provide vital evidence about the early years as families navigate their way out of the Covid-19 pandemic and through the cost-of-living crisis.”
Parents will be asked about their child’s development, their neighbourhood, their family, their mental health and the home learning environment.
They will also be asked about childcare arrangements for their children and preschool education.
Between the surveys, they will be invited to use a smartphone app to log their baby’s language and development, as well as receiving news and tips from the team of experts.
Prof Fearon added: “Our first five years are a crucial developmental period in our lives, every new experience can play a pivotal role in how we fare later on.
“This new study will investigate how children develop and the circumstances and early years services that can make a difference.
“By understanding how these factors impact their development, we can learn how to support them, so they are able to make the best start at school and flourish as they are growing up.”
Children and Families Minister, Will Quince, said: “This is an important study that will provide an insight into the crucial early years of a child’s life and a wealth of evidence about their development and educational outcomes.
“We know the pandemic has created unique challenges for families and I’d like to thank the thousands who will be participating in this study over the next five years.
“We are committed to supporting families, including through a multi-million-pound package to transform services, which will create family hubs in half of all local authorities and provide important advice to parents and carers through the Start-for-Life offer.”
Speaking ahead of a visit to UCL last year focusing on the study, the Duchess of Cambridge said: “Our early childhoods shape our adult lives and knowing more about what impacts this critical time is fundamental to understanding what we as a society can do to improve our future health and happiness.
“The landmark Children Of The 2020s study will illustrate the importance of the first five years and provide insights into the most critical aspects of early childhood, as well as the factors which support or hinder positive lifelong outcomes.”